I always enjoy books that make you think. Advice My Parents Gave Me and Other Lessons I Learned from My Mistakes by Rodolfo Costa is one of those kinds of books. It is filled with valuable life and career success wisdom distilled into bite sized chunks. The wisdom inside can accelerate your progres toward your life and career success.
Rodolfo describes the book as “409 thoughts, quotes, lessons, ideas, suggestions, reminders, words of advice and encouragement to lead a successful, rewarding, peaceful, happy and fulfilling life.” And he is right on. The 409 snippets in this book will make you think.
I send a motivational quote to my subscribers every day. If you’re not receiving these quotes you can go to http://www.BudBilanich.com and sign up in the space immediately below the image of my career advice book, Success Tweets. I preface each quote with the words: “THINK, ACT, SUCCEED.”
As much as I believe that it’s important to read inspirational advice, I think it’s more important to think about what you read and to ask yourself, “How does this apply to me?” Then it’s important to take action – to do something with what you read.
Let me sum up. There are three easy things that you can do every day to help speed you along in your career success journey…
- Read – anything that can help you create your career success.
- Think – about how you can apply the lessons of what you’ve read in your life.
- Act – do something. Change a behavior, create a new habit.
If you do these three things consistently, you can’t help but succeed. Advice My Parents Gave Me and Other Lessons I Learned from My Mistakes is a great source of life and career success advice. If you read, think about and act on only one of the bits of wisdom per day, you’ll have over a year’s worth of lessons to apply in your life.
Rodolfo divides the book into 16 sections…
- Positive Attitude and Optimism
- Responsibility and Inspiration
- Goals and Motivation
- Action Persistence and Success
- Self-Doubt, Fear and Criticism
- Positive Thinking and Communication
- Positive Self Esteem and Good Manners
- Learning and Understanding
- Planning: Pat, Present and Future
- Laughing and Taking it Easy
- Love and Relationships
- Forgiveness and Acceptance
- Happiness and Awareness
- Gratitude and Getting Older
Here are 10 of my favorite pieces of advice in Advice My Parents Gave me and Other Lessons I Learned from My Mistakes….
- Life is wonderful. Life is horrible. Life is fabulous. Life is terrible. Life is great. Life is awful. Life is challenging. Life is a piece of cake. Life is unfair. Life is beautiful. Life is ugly. Life is tough. Life is easy. In reality, life is whatever you make it.
- Remember the word “failure” is just a state of mind. Approach it with a positive attitude and you will notice that failure can become a learning experience toward your success.
- Always keep your promises and honor your commitments. Give your word and carry it through – even if it is difficult, expensive or inconvenient.
- Visualize yourself as the person you want to be, act like the person you want to be, and strive to become the person you want to become.
- Establish goals for yourself, no matter how big, crazy or unattainable they may see. Who are you not to achieve them and be successful? Who are you not to be the person you want to be? Believe in yourself.
- It may take a little time to get where you want to be, but if you pause and think for a moment, you will notice that you are no longer where you were. Don’t stop – keep going.
- Don’t be embarrassed to say “I don’t know.” It’s amazing how much you can learn just by admitting that.
- Keep your mind open. Let your thoughts wander and allow your brain and subconscious mind point you in the direction of the answer you are seeking.
- Honesty, sincerity, respect, integrity and reliability built trust and hold relationships together.
- Erase the word “someday” from your vocabulary. Don’t save things for special occasions. Every day is special. Every day is a gift that we must appreciate and be thankful for. Wear your attractive clothes, and your nice perfume. Use your fine silverware and dishes. Drink from your expensive crystal glasses – just because. Live every day to the fullest and savor every minute of every day.
These are my favorites. There are 399 more bits of common sense life and career success advice inside the pages of Advice My Parents Gave Me and Other Lessions I Learned from My Mistakes.
The career success coach point here is simple common sense. Successful people seek out inspiration and life and career success advice. One of the best ways to do this is to read books like Rodolfo Costa’s Advice My Parents Gave Me and Other Lessons I Learned From my Mistakes. Once you find inspiration or advice take some time to think. Figure out how that inspiration and advice applies to you. Then do something. Take positive action to help you move toward your life and career success.
That’s the career advice I take from Rodofo Costa’s book. What do you think? Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts with us in a comment. As always, thanks for reading my daily musings on life and career success. I value you and I appreciate you.
PS: If you haven’t already done so, please download a free copy of my popular career advice book Success Tweets and its companion piece Success Tweets Explained. The first gives you 140 bits of career success advice tweet style — in 140 characters or less. The second is a whopping 390 + pages of career advice explaining each of the common sense tweets in Success Tweets in detail. Go to http://budurl.com/STExp to claim your free copy. You’ll also start receiving my daily life and career success quotes.
PPS: I opened a membership site last September. It’s called My Corporate Climb and is devoted to helping people create career success inside large corporations. You can find out about the membership site by going to http://www.mycorporateclimb