I was reading the February 2010 issue of The Costco Connection – I love their store and I love their member mag. There was an article on ING Direct, an on line bank. I’ve been an ING depositor for over 10 years. They give great service.
The color orange is part of their brand. The Orange Code is the ING Direct company constitution. It 1s 12 common sense points for running a business. However, as the Denver Career Success Coach, I couldn’t help but notice that the Orange Code can easily be adapted to individual career success.
Check it out…
- We are new here. Every day is a new beginning, a new set of challenges, a chance to reinvent ourselves.
- Our mission is to help people take care of the wealth they make. Money is the fruit of work, and saving it is fundamental to freedom.
- We will be fair. Everyone will be treated equally here.
- We will constantly learn. Every experience we have will make us wiser and better at what we do.
- We will change and adapt and dwell only in the present and in the future. We are nourished by thinking about what can be done.
- We will listen; we will invent; we will simplify. Our customers can make us better if we let them. But we must first understand them.
- We will never stop asking why or why not. Nothing can be sacred here except for our mission.
- We will create wealth for ourselves too, but we will do this by creating value. Profit it proof that we are fulfilling our mission.
- We will tell the truth. We can’t succeed without the trust of our customers.
- We will be for everyone. To be our customer, people need only a dollar and the will to be independent.
- We aren’t conquerors – we are pioneers. We are not here to destroy – we are here to create. We have competitors, not enemies. We came here to offer people a choice.
- We will never be finished.
Pretty good stuff in my opinion.
I spent some time thinking about the Orange Code and have tinkered with it to create the Bud Code…
- My mission is to help as many people as I can to create the career success they want and deserve.
- Every day is a new opportunity for me to help others create career success.
- I will treat everyone I meet with the dignity and respect to which they are entitled just by being human.
- I am a lifelong learner. Every experience I have makes me a better career success coach.
- I honor the past and learn from it, but I focus on the future and the contributions I can make to others’ career success.
- I simplify the complexity of creating a successful life and career. I help people understand the process of becoming a career success. I make becoming a career success as simple as it can be.
- I am always looking for new and better ways to be the best career success coach I can be.
- I will create wealth for myself by creating value for my career success coaching clients.
- My career success coaching clients trust me. They share their hopes and dreams with me. They share their fears too. This trust is sacred. I will not violate it.
- I help everyone. Anyone with a sincere desire to learn can become one of my career success coaching clients.
- I am here to help create new ways of understanding what it takes to create a successful life and career.
- My work will never be finished. I learn and grow every day. My thinking, writing and coaching work deepens my understanding of what it takes to become career and life success.
My Career Success GPS system is built on what I call the Four C’s of success: Clarity of purpose and direction; Commitment to taking personal responsibility for your life and career; Unshakeable self confidence; and a set of success competencies. The ING Direct Orange Code provides a great example of a company’s clarity of purpose. Above, I showed you how you can adapt it to help you develop your clarity of purpose and direction. This wasn’t a difficult exercise for me as I have spent a lot of time thinking about my clarity of purpose. It may be difficult for you, if you haven’t given a lot of thought to your clarity of purpose. I like the Orange Code because it provides a starting place for developing your clarity of purpose. Try it. It will help. I guarantee it; because, after all it’s only common sense.
The common sense point here is simple. Successful people develop a clarity of purpose and direction to help them create the career and life success they want and deserve. The Orange Code, the ING Direct constitution provides a good starting place for developing your clarity of purpose. Read the 12 points; see how I adapted them to my work as a career success coach. Then take a crack at adapting them to your life and career.
That’s my take on specifying your purpose and direction in life. What’s yours? Please take a minute and leave a comment sharing your thoughts with us. As always, thanks for reading.