I have had several readers request that I do shorter blog posts. This post is my first attempt at so doing. These posts will be titled “How To…” The career advice in these posts will based on the ideas in my latest career success book, Climbing the Corporate Ladder.
I’d appreciate it if you would let me know what you think about this format.
In over 25 years as a career success coach, leadership consultant and motivational speaker I’ve identified seven keys to creating the life and career success you want and deserve.
- Clarity of purpose and direction
- Commitment to taking personal responsibility for your life and career
- Unshakeable self-confidence
- Outstanding performance
- Positive personal impact
- Dynamic communication
- Relationship building
The seven principles have guided me on my success journey. I’m sharing them so they can guide you on your personal journey to the career and life success. Let’s look at them in more detail.
The keys to developing your clarity of purpose and direction are…
- Defining what success means to you personally.
- Creating a vivid mental picture of yourself as a success.
- Clarifyng your personal values.
The keys to committing to your success are…
- Taking personal responsibility for your success.
- Setting high goals and doing what it takes to achieve them.
- Choosing to respond positively to people and events.
The keys to becoming self-confident are…
- Choosing optimism, believing that today will be better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better than today.
- Facing your fears and acting, refusing to let your fears paralyze you into inaction.
- Surrounding yourself with positive people and jettisoning nay-sayers in your life.
There are four keys to becoming an outstanding performer. You have to…
- Update your skills by becoming a lifelong learner.
- Understand that business runs on numbers. Know your company and industry’s finances.
- Manage your time, life and stress.
- Live a healthy lifestyle.
The four keys to creating positive personal impact are…
- Develop strength of character.
- Create and nurture your unique personal brand.
- Be impeccable in your presentation of self, in person and online.
- Follow the rules of business etiquette.
The keys to becoming a dynamic communicator are…
- Communicate well in conversation.
- Communicate well in writing.
- Communicate well in presentations.
The keys to building strong relationships are…
- Understanding yourself so that self-understanding helps you understand others.
- Paying it forward and without expecting a return.
- Resolving conflict in a way that strengthens, not destroys, the relationships you’ve build.