Your unconscious mind runs your life and has a big effect on your life and career success. Everything you do, say and think comes from the beliefs held in your unconscious mind.
Your unconscious mind holds beliefs that are helpful and propel you toward the life and career success you want and deserve. It also holds beliefs that are limiting and hold you back from creating the life and career success. Unfortunately, your unconscious mind can’t differentiate between helpful and limiting beliefs
Here are some sample limiting beliefs I have come across in in my work as a career success coach that are held by many people.
I can’t ever succeed because….
- Everyone lies.
- Entrepreneurs are very cutthroat and I don’t want to be that way.
- Women like men with lots of money or a great house or a fancy car orsome other quality so I’ll never meet anyone.
- It’s who you know, not what you can do.
- _____ people are just that way.
- Money is evil.
- People who have money are evil and/or corrupt.
- People can’t be trusted.
- All people are out for just themselves.
- Nice gals/guys finish last.
- People are too busy to care.
- It’s a dog-eat-dog world.
- The world is falling apart.
- I’ll never have what I really want.
- If I can’t do it perfectly, I won’t do it at all.
Every belief in your unconscious mind is there because it is protecting you in some fashion. Each one of them had a very useful function at one time in your life. Usually, the ones that are holding you back now were originally designed to protect you or empower you in some way in the past.
The trick is to identify these limiting beliefs – and then do something about them. Here is my best career advice on dealing with your limiting beliefs…
- Focus on a specific area of your life (money, work, relationships, etc.). What isn’t working in this area? Write down at least 3 limiting beliefs you have about this situation.
- Pick one belief from the list above that seems to be the most difficult and most real. Pick the one that frustrates you the most.
- What person embodies this one belief? This can be someone you know or don’t know; someone from TV, a movie, a book, a tall tale, or a mythic legend; someone living or dead; someone real or imagined. What is this person’s name?
- Imagine yourself having a conversation with this person. Ask them any question you want. What they are doing for you? Are they protecting you from anything (past or present; real or imagined)? Pay attention to what they say back to you (even if you think you are just imagining it). Notice how you feel and what thoughts start coming to you.
- Write down any insights you receive from this conversation. What tangible action steps will you take based on this new awareness?
I really like this approach. I realize that for some of you, it may seem to be a bit out there – talking to imaginary people, come on! But this approach works because it puts the burden of dealing with your limiting beliefs where it belongs – with you. If you apply the five action steps above, you will be better able to deal with you own self imposed limiting beliefs and become the career success you are meant to be. Try it, it works!
The career success coach point here is simple common sense. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. We let self imposed limiting beliefs hamper our chances of creating the life and career success we want and deserve. And, even more frustrating, we have good reasons for holding our self limiting beliefs. In the past, they probably served us well, and prevented a lot of heartache. However, times change and the limiting beliefs that once served us well can be create problems for creating our life and career success. If you follow the five steps above, you should be able to deal with your limiting beliefs in a positive way and move forward towards the life and career success you deserve.
That’s my career advice on dealing with limiting beliefs. What do you think? Please share your thoughts with us in a comment. As always, thanks for reading my daily musings on life and career success. I value you and I appreciate you.
PS: If you haven’t already done so, you can download a free copy of my latest career success book Success Tweets Explained. It’s a whopping 390 + pages of career advice explaining each of the common sense tweets in Success Tweets in detail. Go to http://budurl.com/STExp to claim your free copy. You’ll also start receiving my daily life and career success quotes.