Today is Thursday, so this post is on communication skills.
People with good communication skills have three things in common.
- They are excellent conversationalists.
- They write clearly and succinctly.
- They present well – to groups of two or two hundred.
Today, I found a great website that provides common sense help for anyone who wants to polish his or her writing.
You can check it out at http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar. It is sponsored by the Capitol Community College foundation in Hartford, CT.
The site has the following topic areas:
- Sentences – which contains advice on things like clauses, run-on sentence, comma usage, punctuation other than the comma, a menu of “confusable” words.
- Paragraphs – which contains advice on topics such as paragraph development, sentence variety, consistency of tense and pronoun reference, sentence combining skills and coherence and transitions.
- Essays – which contains advice on structure, tone, editing, logic, formats and rhetorical patterns.
I spent a lot of time on this site and picked up some great refreshers on material I know. If you struggle with writing, this site is for you. Spend time there to learn. Go back when you have specific questions.
By the way, I’m attending the Blog World Expo today and tomorrow. Hopefully, I’ll learn something and will be writing better blogs soon.
That’s it for today. Thanks for reading. Log on to my website www.BudBilanich.com for more common sense. Check out my other blog: www.CommonSenseGuy.com for common sense advice on leading people and running a small business.
I’ll see you around the web, and at Alex’s Lemonade Stand.
PS: Speaking of Alex’s Lemonade Stand – my fundraising page is still open. Please go to www.FirstGiving.com/TheCommonSenseGuy to read Alex’s inspiring story and to donate if you can.