This blog, my Common Sense Success System and my books Straight Talk for Success, Your Success GPS and 42 Rules to Jumpstart Your Professional Success, are designed to do one thing and one thing only – help you become the career and life success you deserve to be. Today’s post is a quick summary of the things you need to do – a plan — to create your personal and professional success.
Your Success Plan
Success is the product of Four “Cs”:
• Clarity of purpose and direction,
• Commitment to taking personal responsibility for your success,
• Confidence in your ability to succeed,
• Competence in four key areas.
Things to Do…
• Clearly define what career and life success mean to you.
• Create a vivid mental image of your success.
• Clarify your personal values. They are you anchors, and will help you make decisions in ambiguous situations.
• Commit to your success. Figure out exactly what you need to do – then do it!
• Enthusiastically act on the things that will make you a success.
• Become an optimist. Choose to react positively to the bad things that happen to you. Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
• Identify your fears. Admit them and embrace them. Then act. Don’t let your fears paralyze you. Action is the antidote to fear.
• Identify the positive people in your life. Hold them close. Run from negative people – as fast as you can.
• Create positive personal impact:
o Build a strong, unique personal brand.
o Be impeccable in your presentation of self – in person and on line.
o Always be a lady or gentleman
o Become a lifelong learner.
o Set high goals – do whatever it takes to achieve them.
o Get organized – manage your time, life and stress well.
o Become a great conversationalist – ask questions, listen, respond appropriately.
o Write clearly and succinctly – use short sentences, and the smallest possible words that communicate exactly what you want to say.
o Develop your presentation skills – practice, practice, practice your talks.
• Build Relationships
o Get to know yourself. Use this self knowledge to better understand others.
o Resolve conflict positively and with a minimal amount of disruption to your relationships.
The common sense point here is simple. Successful people do four things really well. 1) They are clear about what they want out of life and how they are going to achieve it. 2) They are committed to taking personal responsibility for their lives and careers. 3) They actively build their self confidence. 4) They are competent in four areas: creating positive personal impact, their technical specialty, communication, and building relationships. If you can master these Four Cs of Success – clarity, commitment, confidence and competence, you’ll be on your way to creating the successful life and career you want and deserve.
That’s my take on what it takes to succeed in your life and career. What’s yours? Please take a minute to leave a comment sharing your thoughts with us. As always thanks for reading.