I am an occasional contributor to an ezine called Healthcare Marketing Exchange. A while back they celebrated 20 years in business. They asked me to do a short piece called “20 Qualities of Successful People.” This piece ran a while ago. I came across it as I was looking through my Word files. I thought it would be a great post on this career success blog.
20 Qualities of Successful People
1. Perseverance: Never give up. Most sales take at least six customer contacts. Many sales people give up after three.
2. Goal orientation: If you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll never get there. Set mini milestones any you’ll accomplish big goals.
3. Self Awareness: You have to understand yourself before you can understand and influence others.
4. Resilience: Life will throw all sorts of challenges your way. Your ability to bounce back after setbacks and failures is key to creating your success.
5. Willingness to Take a Risk: A boat that never leaves the harbor is pretty safe. However, it’s not doing what it’s meant to do.
6. Thriving on Pressure: Pressure turns coal into diamonds. Welcome pressure to become the best you can be.
7. Optimism: Promise yourself to forget the mistakes of the past on press on to the greater achievements of the future.
8. Empathy: Build the relationships you need to succeed by being willing to walk a mile in others’ shoes.
9. Competitiveness: Play to win, but play fair. Be a good sport when you lose.
10. Patience: Life and career success is a journey, not a destination. Take things one step at a time.
11. Persuasiveness: Use logic to convince others to your point of view.
12. Confidence: If you believe you can, you can. If you don’t believe you can, you can’t.
13. Passion: Care about what you do. If you care a little you’ll be an OK performer. If you care a lot, you’ll become the life and career success you deserve to be.
14. Integrity: Your brand should be uniquely you, but built on integrity. Keep your commitments, stay true to yourself.
15. Trustworthy: Do what you say you’ll do. When you can’t let others know as soon as possible. Be reliable.
16. Having Fun: Life is an adventure. Enjoy the ride.
17. Open to New Ideas: Listen hardest to those people with whom you disagree. You’re likely to learn something.
18. Creativity: Always be on the lookout for new and better ways of getting things done.
19. Courage: Face your fears and act. Identify and admit to what you fear. Accept what you fear. Do something about it.
20. Network: Build and nurture a strong professional network. Industry associations are a great place to start.
That’s my best 20 ideas on what it takes to become a life and career success. What do you think? What have I missed? Please leave a comment with your suggestions. As always, thanks for reading my daily thoughts on life and career success. I value you and I appreciate you.
PS: If you haven’t already done so, I suggest that you check out my career advice book Success Tweets and its companion piece Success Tweets Explained. The first gives you 140 bits of career success advice tweet style — in 140 characters or less. The second is a whopping 390 + pages of career advice explaining each of the common sense tweets in Success Tweets in detail. Go to http://budurl.com/STExp to claim your free copy. You’ll also start receiving my daily life and career success quotes.
PPS: Have you seen my membership site, My Corporate Climb? It’s devoted to helping people just like you create career success inside large corporations. You can find out about it by going to http://www.mycorporateclimb.